Brian and Meg breezed through San Francisco this week, so I got to meet up with them and talk way too much about comics. They toured both the beautiful Cartoon Art Museum and my own wretched, manga-choked apartment, and then they no doubt vowed to get away as quickly as possible and never come back. Also, they brought me cookies!
Oh, and I certainly hope you didn't miss this week's Chronicles of William Bazillion!
One more thing: thanks to everyone who sent me kind words about last week's Edward Gorey pastiche. I drew it strictly for my personal entertainment, and I was bowled over that other people enjoyed it. It turns out that when you combine two things nerds like, such as Star Trek and Edward Gorey, they really dig it! Who knew?
Okay, time for a quick Overlooked Manga Festival Special Event!
OMF Special Event:
Top Ten Lines from the Excel Saga Manga
Credit should be divided between creator Rikdo Koshi, translators Dan Kanemitsu, Pookie Rolf, and Yuko Sawada, and rewriter Carl Gustav Horn.
10. Excel and Hyatt on choosing an impenetrable alias:
9. Dr. Iwata on invasive surgery:
(Small text: I'll do it like this...I'll do it like that...I'll do it with a Crile hemostat! Note also the inclusion of a Jack Chick-style HAW HAW!, a recurring feature in the English-language Excel Saga.)
8. Excel on the resemblance between an army of robot duplicates of Hyatt and the steampunk technology of Galaxy Express 999:
7. Iwata on why it's presumptious for androids to suggest expensive restaurants for lunch:
6. Elgala and Excel on getting drunk and cooking the dog:
5. Excel on the difficulty of escaping from prison:
4. Excel on the best way to befriend a new coworker:
3. Excel on the train that ran over her crude homemade flying machine, ACROSS-Star One:
2. The Manager (who, for reasons unknown, speaks in a thick German patois) on the time Dr. Shiouji's top-heavy mad-scientist mother won an eating contest at her okinomiyaki stand:
1. And a labor of love...Dr. Shiouji on the accidental deletion of hundreds of gigabytes of (mostly underage) pornography:
Thank you. That is all.
Previous Overlooked Manga Festivities:
Please Save My Earth
From Eroica with Love
Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga
Your and My Secret
Knights of the Zodiac
The Drifting Classroom
OMF Special Event: Manga Editors Recommend Manga, Part 1
OMF Special Event: Manga Editors Recommend Manga, Part 2
OMF Special Event: Manga Editors Recommend Manga, Part 3
OMF Special Event: Great Moments in Manga Baking
Shout Out Loud
Warren Buffett: An Illustrated Biography of the World's Most Successful Investor
Sexy Voice and Robo
OMF Special Event: 2006 Overlooked Manga Update
The Four Immigrants Manga
Gerard and Jacques
Ode To Kirihito
Bringing Home the Sushi
OMF Special Event: The Greatest Manga Magazine in American History
Anywhere But Here
Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
The Walking Man
Sugar Sugar Rune
Japan as Viewed by 17 Creators
Ricca 'tte Kanji!?
OMF Special Event: My Legacy
OMF Special Event: An All-Star Tribute to Carl Gustav Horn
Guest OMF by Jason Thompson: 888
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Flower of Life